Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Chez Moi Before and After all week... Part 1

I always wonder what other interior bloggers apartments look like, so I feel its only fair to show my own.This week I will post a room a day in the effort to give my 7 readers (mom I'm including you here) some original content. When I first found this apartment it was in the worst possible shape. I couldn't even be in there for more than 5 minutes because of the smell, I won't go in to details because it's lunch time and I like you. The river views and bones drew me in, I was living on the third floor of this same building with one less bedroom, bathroom and brick views. I had renovated my old place so it was great to do it again and tweak all the things I felt didn't work. I am sooooooo glad that I did. Special thanks goes out to the brilliant photographer Dan Hallman who shot my apartment for fun only! It may look a little familiar as my old apartment was in in Domino Magazine's second issue so some of the pieces I carried over.



Notice all the fans - The building doesn't want to ruin the look of the front of the building so no ac's allowed in the living room. Thus the reason why I had to get a ceiling fan but I had Ira make a drum on top to make my cheap hunter fans chic.



I went with the living room dining room as one because in NYC every room counts - I ended up hijacking the dining room for an office/ den and because of the glass doors the kids can hang in one room and the adults in the other. My husband wanted a television in the living room so badly because he said we would never hang out in there if there wasn't one (he was right btw). So I made a deal - if I could get bookcases made then he could have the tv - fair trade no? Tray and Pillows - Jonathan Adler


The chairs were bought at Crate and Barrel and covered with restaurant quality waffle fabric so you could spill a glass of red wine and it will not penetrate. The ottoman was also from crate and barell and covered in an ostrich faux leather . The bookcases that I LOVE were made for me by Props Displays and Interiors and designed by Matthew Sudock of M Design. But my favorite is the rug that I found at ABC Bronx Warehouse and is by Madeline Weinrib. I ended up buying a rug from from MW for every room.


I was inspired when I saw the trim for the mirror in wood in a magazine and asked Custom Resource if they could make something similar in white lacquer. It came out perfect! I also love the window seat they made for me in the fabric Navy Chunky Raffia that I found at William Sonoma. It is a navy straw that is both waterproof and smudge proof. I hide all of my suitcases in it and hang there and drink coffee and look at Riverside Park and the Hudson river.







I am obsessed with my new Jonathan Adler couch because it was covered in the navy velvet that they use in movie theaters. I have kids so I wanted my entire apt to have that hosedownable quality. I saw Jonathan Adler at a party and told him that my apartment reminds me of his store or at least I wish.





The white bookcase was brown and ugly (see below picture from Domino) until Heather from Habitually Chic suggested that I lacquer it - now I love it.


Loved theses chairs when I saw them at David Burk's restaurant and that is what connected me to decorator Matthew Suddock - who is Brilliant! He was also smart enough to suggest that I do them in white faux leather so I could soft scrub them . The table I could live with out so any suggestions here would be most welcome. We also found this great bookcase at ABC Bronx warehouse at it is high enough to store even the tallest books. The radiator covers are also buy custom Resource. with the same WS Home fabric that we used on the bench. We found the paintings which are actually tabletops at a Public Color event and got an amazing deal on them and supported a great cause . they are by David Rockwell.

The image below from Domino Sept 2005 :


* Two more things: If you click on the pictures you can see more details and secondly for paint color info click here

20 comments:

  1. LOVE this space! You did a phenomenal job with it! Can't wait to see the rest of your place. I've been toying with the idea of posting pics from my apt as well. However, mine is certainly not as photo-worthy so I'm a little hesitant...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren: You should do it and get feedback - That is what I am hoping for. Thank you so much for the comment - It really does mean so much to me. Best, suze

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad I could help you makeover your brown bookcases! The whole apartment looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Heather - You are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it looks absolutely gorgeous!! so glad you are posting about your home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The photos and the commentary are excellent and really create the vibe that a visitor gets in person. For the record, whenever I walk by Jonathan Adler's store, I think that I am looking at your home - so you are in good company. I love, love, love your home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Carolyn - Love that you are reading this and Helena I truely appreciate your comment!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your apartment is so chic and truly amazing! I love that you gave all your fab resources, and just had to smile at the hose downable idea, since I have three little mess makers of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for always giving great comments TZ!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous home, it so does not look hosedownable! The artwork is one of my favorite features.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Karen - Everything really is washable - thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maybe you can go with a white marble top table.. that would look beautiful :)

    ~Edyta

    ReplyDelete
  13. Edyta- I was totally thinking that too so funny. S

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVED that picture in Domino, but your new apartment is just perfect- so fun and youthful, but not too much. .

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just stumbled on your blog via raenovate... and now I have to spend the next few hours going through your archives! What a fantastic transformation of your home. Its inspiring to see stylish family spaces.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loving your blog...Im new to it... Great job on your apt!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, I love how beautiful yet (secretly) kid-friendly your apartment is!! I'm looking around for fabrics to reupholster my living and dining room furniture right now...do you remember where you found the restaurant-quality waffle fabric on your green chairs? That sounds like just what I need! And do you have any sources for good faux leather?

    ReplyDelete
  18. what's the name of the chairs from crate and barrel? i just bought the same adler couch in a silvery velvet and have had a hard time finding the right chairs to go with it. the ones in your photos kind of look like the chloe chair at C&B but i can't tell. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey, just wondering, do you like your JA couch? Is it comfortable? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete